Providence Health & Services Clinical Documentation Specialist-RRT in Washington
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Clinical Documentation Specialist to of our remote locations in WA, OR, MT, AK, CA, NM or TX.
We are seeking an experienced Clinical Documentation Specialist for our Rapid Response Team (RRT) to support the Clinical Documentation Team across the entire PSJH system. The RRT CDS will be responsible for providing CDS coverage at any of our PSJH facilities when help is needed for PTO, extended sick leave, or high census. The RRT CDS may also do some auditing or other special projects as needs arise. The RRT must be able to work independently and be adaptable to changes in workflow daily, while maintaining excellent CDS performance metrics and following CMS guidelines, organizational policies, and procedures. The successful candidate will be a strong CDS with expert level case review skills who is able to easily integrate into different teams throughout the region and work effectively with their staff and local providers. The candidate will be self-motivated, possess strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills. The RRT CDS will have the unique opportunity to review records throughout the PSJH system CDI program, and will need to be able to spot trends and improvement opportunities throughout the region.
The CDS's primary responsibility will be to obtain appropriate clinical documentation through extensive review of provider, nursing, ancillary, and other patient care givers documentation, to ensure that appropriate documentation and reimbursement is received for the level of services rendered to patients. The CDS ensures the clinical information utilized in profiling and reporting outcomes is complete and accurate. On an ongoing basis, the CDS is responsible for supporting the direction and focus of education for providers and the coding staff within their assigned scope of work. A key success factor of this process is educating providers thru the query process and supporting them with feedback to accurately reflect the true clinical picture within the medical record. Provider feedback is conveyed through attending practice group meetings, medical directors and formal medical staff committees regarding the status and trends of the integrity of their documentation as needed. In partnering with the coding team, the CDS will be an expert with ICD-10, MS-DRG and APR-DRG assignment.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
• Complete initial medical records reviews of patient records within 24-48 hours of admission for assigned patient population to: (a) evaluate documentation to assign the principal diagnosis, pertinent secondary diagnoses, and procedures for accurate MS-DRG or APR-DRG assignment; and (b) Conducts follow-up reviews of patients every 2-3 days to support and assign a working or final MS-DRG or APR-DRG assignment upon patient discharge as needed.
• Draft and submit compliant queries to providers as needed; conduct follow up reviews of clinical documentation to ensure points of clarification with providers have been recorded in the patients’ medical record.
• Communicates with coders to identify root cause of CDI-Coder final DRG mismatches and resolve variances.
• Meets and exceeds established productivity guidelines as well as additional key performance indicators such as review rates, query rates, agreement rates, etc. Follows established processes and utilizes the identified tools supportive of the CDS role without variation unless discussed with leadership team.
• Collaborates with Center of Excellence (COE) and other RRTs to identify and report on trends associated with documentation to ensure continued improvement
• Validates documentation concepts necessary in ICD-10 documentation for the CDI team, clinical teams, and provider.
• Is a positive contributor in how documentation will affect the Hospital Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) results, how patients are included in the Potentially Preventable Readmissions (PPR), and to identify those conditions that may be Hospital Acquired Conditions (HAC), Patient Safety Indicators (PSI), accuracy of Present on Admission (POA) conditions, and penalties will be associated with lack of proper documentation.
• Maintains and applies up-to date knowledge of current clinical documentation practices to ensure the medical record accurately reflects patient care and ensures proper coding including MS-DRG, APR-DRG, ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS codes. Stays current with AHA Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines, CMS and other agency directives for ICD-10-CM coding. Attends mandatory coding seminars on annual basis (IPPS updates) for inpatient coding. Quarterly review of AHA Coding Clinic. Attends Quarterly Coding Updates and all coding conference calls as well as any required CDI education as assigned.
• Assists in training department staff new to CDI.
• Maintains flexibility in supporting multiple hospitals based on organizational need regardless of system variation.
• Able to breakdown raw information and undefined problems into specific workable components that in-turn clearly identifies the issues at hand. Makes logical conclusions, anticipates obstacles and considers different approaches that are relevant to the decision making process.
• Identifies and acts upon opportunities. Motivates others during times of organizational stress, ambiguity, and change. Creates an environment that encourages prudent risk-taking, sharing of best practices, and alerting groups to alternative approaches.
• Consistently displays awareness and sensitivity to the needs of internal and/or external clients. Proactively ensures these needs are met or exceeded.
• Communicates ideas or positions in a persuasive manner that builds support, agreement, or commitment. Takes actions that directly or indirectly influence others to create buy-in, gain trust, and motivate actions in others or win concessions without damaging relationships. Creates an environment that encourages and values the opinions of others, and promotes sharing of information and ideas.
• Voluntarily takes the first steps to identify and address existing and potential obstacles, issues, and opportunities.
• Innovation: Improves organizational performance though the application of original thinking to existing and emerging methods, processes, products and services. Employs sound judgment in determining how innovations will be deployed to produce return on investment.
• Anticipates, identifies and defines problems. Seeks root causes. Develops and implements practical and timely solutions.
• Fosters an environment of collaboration in pursuit of common goals. Inspires, motivates and guides others. Develops leadership skills in others by directing, coaching, mentoring, and reinforcing. Encourages and facilitates cooperation within the organization and with client groups; fosters commitment, team spirit, pride and trust.
• An enterprise-wide understanding of business functions and the corresponding technical strategies, benefits, risks, and costs that impact the business. Examples business functions include: marketing, sales, finance, HR, and engineering.
• Maintains clear communication with clients regarding mutual expectations. Anticipates clients' needs by seeking information about the apparent, as well as underlying, requirements. Matches requirements to new or existing products and services. Makes concrete attempts to add value and enhance clients' ability to achieve their business goals.
• Identifies risks and obstacles to plans. Defines scarcity and conflicts of resource needs, and potential constraints. Investigates risks within various organizational elements, assesses impact, and develops contingency plans to address major risks.
• Understands the broader impact of work efforts across the revenue cycle function, critical business processes, and applications. Conceptualizes impact of changes upon workflow and best practices.
• Associate's Degree in Nursing or Associates of Science degree in healthcare or other related field.
• 5 years clinical experience in acute care setting or equivalent experience in Health Information Management/Coding.
• 1 year understanding of MS-DRG and APR-DRG assignment and fundamentals of establishing a DRG.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a Bachelor of Science degree in healthcare or other related field
• 1 year ICD-10 experience and/or understanding.
• 3 years Clinical Documentation Specialist experience in acute care setting.
• Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, Word, Outlook and Teams
• Proficient in EMR and CDI software: Epic, Meditech, CDE One
About the department you will serve.
One Revenue Cycle (ORC) is the name adopted to reflect the Providence employees who work throughout Providence Health & Services (PH&S) in revenue cycle systems and structures in support of our ministries and operations in all regions from Alaska to California. ORC’s objective is to ensure our core strategy, One Ministry Committed to Excellence, is delivered along with the enhanced overall patient care experience (know me, care for me, ease my way) by providing a robust foundation of services, operational and technical support, and the sharing of comprehensive, relevant, and highly specialized revenue cycle expertise.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Health Information Management (HIM)
Other Location(s): Montana, California, Washington, Oregon, Texas, Alaska
Req ID: 317392