Providence Health & Services RN – Palliative Care in Walla Walla, Washington
Providence is calling a Registered Nurse (RN) ( Palliative Care , Day Shift, 1 FTE) to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• Review palliative care referrals and/or proactively assesses patients appropriate for palliative care. Conduct patient assessments, reviews laboratory and diagnostic test results within scope of practice, assists in formulation of care plan with patient care team which includes culturally and linguistically appropriate care and communication, and follows up regarding expected outcomes for individual patients.
• Provide surveillance of medical regimens for the palliative care patients. Works with the patient care team to adjust regimens utilizing established protocols or best practices. Consults with Palliative Care providers on complex patient care issues and conducts appropriate referrals
• Assess, reassess, plan, counses, teach, and demonstrate palliative nursing care to patients, family members or other persons who will give care to patients. Collaborates with members of the patient’s care team for demonstration to family when appropriate. Assesses and reassesses patient’s and family’s understanding regarding medical recommendations and works with the patient care team as appropriate to make necessary adjustments in the treatment regime
• Regularly provide education, in-services and consultation to interdisciplinary patient care staff regarding palliative care services and protocols to enhance knowledge and competence throughout the organization. This includes providing education on protocols, appropriate patient and family communication, and additional opportunities for patients who would have been appropriate for palliative care referrals
• Accurately and concisely document findings, instructions, education, care planning, services rendered and outcomes of patients who received palliative care services. Conducts timely follow-up on identified issues
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the Palliative Care Program including interventions, screening criteria, referral mechanisms, and data gathering relative to cost effectiveness and patient outcomes, and makes recommendations for program modifications and access improvement. Provides regular written reports regarding program effectiveness and goals
• Role models compassionate and structured communication to facilitate follow-up on the plan of care for the palliative care patients
• Collaboratively work with other health care agencies, particularly hospice, and families regarding the physical and emotional transitions of care
• Provide input regarding the development, revision and implementation of protocols, policies and standardized procedures; assists with the identification of program goals and objectives
Required qualifications for this position include:
Nursing degree/diploma required upon hire
All Registered Nurses without a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) must obtain a BSN or higher within 3 years of hire. RNs with 20 years of RN experience will not be required to obtain a BSN
Unencumbered Registered Nurse (RN) license in state(s) of hire, and wherever care is delivered. If RN holds a multistate license through the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC), the RN must adhere to the requirements of licensure in the new state(s) of hire
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from the following authorized governing bodies: American Heart Association (AHA) - (BLS Provider), American Red Cross (ARC) - (BLS for Healthcare Providers), or Military Training Network (MTN) – (BLS Provider) upon hire.
2 years acute care or hospice experience.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
Bachelor's degree in Nursing upon hire
Palliative care, oncology or chronic disease management training
National certification in area of specialty
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington is a full service hospital with some of the best technology, expertise, specialists and primary care physicians in the region. We have been named the 100 top hospitals in the United States by two separate, independent research companies, Solucient and Cleverly Associates. Walla Walla is located in the southeastern region of Washington state and offers a sunny, mild climate, the benefits of living in a historic college town, outdoor activities and excellent public & private schools at all levels.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Job Category: Medical/Surgical Nursing
Location: Washington-Walla Walla
Req ID: 316866